I like to cook. And I LOVE to bake. On rare occasions I will roll up my sleeves and create a delectable treat from scratch. On most occasions, I find a way to take shortcuts and add something special to dress it up. Hopefully this inspires you to do the same. When you add a little something to a box mix or easy recipe, I find that people respond in such positive ways. They won’t believe that you used a box because you added a bit of your creativity to it. Experiment – some will turn out deliciously (like adding butterscotch chips to milk chocolate mix) and others maybe just so-so (like adding mint chips to dark chocolate mix). We’ll start with my favorite go-to dessert: Caramel Salted Brownies.
The original Cooking Light Caramel Salted Brownie Recipe
If you click on the link above, Cooking Light will take you through some slightly time consuming steps to make the brownies from scratch. For the same impact with less exertion, I start with box brownies. You can use any kind you like – double chocolate, dark chocolate, truffle chocolate, Gluten Free – you name it! I make the box brownies and then skip to the topping section. It is a 2-step process, but it is definitely WORTH IT. I have never received so many compliments as I have for these brownies.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons evaporated fat-free milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- To prepare topping, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and powdered sugar; stir with a whisk until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over cooled brownies. Let stand 20 minutes or until set.
- 4. Combine 2 tablespoons milk and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 45 seconds or until melted, stirring after 20 seconds. Stir just until smooth; drizzle over caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt; let stand until set. Cut into squares.
My Caramel Salted Brownies (flanked by peanut butter blondies and chocolate walnut brownies)